We love a good debate about Literacy here on bundlesofbooks, and what better discussion to have over the next few Sundays than “Which books should go into the Top 100 Children’s books ever written?”
Bookstrust as part of the recent Book Week have compiled a list of the Top 100 Best Books for children. They have divided their list into age categories,so today we take a look at the books they have chosen in the 0-5 years olds category. All these books can be purchased in our bookstore by clicking the links.
So what do you think about their choices? Agree or Disagree?
What is your all time favourite Children’s book written for this age group?
BooksTrust Top 25 Books for 0-5 Year olds
1. Each Peach Pear Plum – Janet and Allan Ahlberg
2.The Jolly Postman or Other People’s Letters – Janet and Allan Ahlberg
3.The Snowman – Raymond Briggs
4. Gorilla – Anthony Browne
5. Would You Rather? – John Burningham
6. Dear Zoo – Rod Campbell
7. The Very Hungry Caterpillar – Eric Carle
8. I Will Not Ever Eat a Tomato – Lauren Child
9. Princess Smartypants – Babette Cole
10. Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy – Lynley Dodd
11. Room on the Broom – Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler
12. Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes – Mem Fox and Helen Oxenbury
13. Little Mouses Book of Fears – Emily Gravett
14. Where’s Spot? – Eric Hill
15. Dogger – Shirley Hughes
16. Lost and Found – Oliver Jeffers
17. The Tiger Who Came to Tea – Judith Kerr
18. I Want My Hat Back – Jon Klassen
19. Not Now Bernard– David McKee
20. Meg and Mog – Helen Nicholl and Jan Pienkowski
21. We’re Going on a Beat Hunt – Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury
22. I Want My Potty – Tony Ross
23. Where The Wild Things Are – Maurice Sendak
24. The Cat in The Hat – Dr Seuss
25. The Elephant and The Bad Baby – Elfrida Vipont and Raymond Briggs
So – What do you think? There are some books on the list that I personally have my doubts about – Meg and Mog and maybe controversially, The Snowman, as I think that works far better for small children as an animation than a book. My personal favourite The Tiger Who Came to Tea is WAY down the list at number 17! There are also books on the list that are new to me , I Want My Hat Back and The Elephant and The Bad Baby so I will be taking a look at those really soon.
Next Sunday we’ll be taking a look at the books selected for the 6-8 years category.
Have a fab Sunday and Happy Reading!